Getting stung by a bee or a wasp can be quite annoying and painful. A red bump may appear, which then itches or expands and causes pain. If you have an allergy to insect venom, getting bitten or stung can be much worse for you. This indicates that the venom is too toxic for your body. A more serious reaction from you could look like:
- swelling, and
- difficult to breathe welts
If you have a severe duluth stinging insect allergy and are stung by an insect, you could go into anaphylactic shock. You should begin administering or getting professional medical attention as soon as possible. It is possible to develop an allergy to insect venom at any age. More men than women are affected, and older people than younger ones.
See an allergist for testing and treatment if you suspect an allergy to insect stings.
If you think you could be allergic to bug stings, talk to your doctor about getting tested. Your doctor will probably check for the most prevalent venoms by doing tests for:
- yellow jacket
Your healthcare provider may do one or more of these tests to identify if you are allergic to insect stings.
Since venom often causes noticeable reactions on the skin, your doctor may recommend a skin test.
The skin on your arm or back will be prepped with an alcohol wipe by your healthcare professional for the test. The doctor will next cover the area of your skin where the venom was applied by placing a dressing over it. The average duration of the exam is 15 minutes. You might have an allergy if any of the following happen:
- Inflammation and
Your doctor may also order additional tests to rule out any stinging insect sensitivities you may have. Because of the possibility of a severe reaction, your doctor may ask you to wait up to 30 minutes following the test to make sure you don’t have anaphylaxis.
Antihistamines and allergy medicines should be avoided for at least 48 hours before to the test, as directed by your doctor.
The results of a skin test are not always reliable. A blood test may be done if that is the case or if your doctor wants additional confirmation. An allergy to insect venom results from the body’s hypersensitivity to the venom and the subsequent production of an antibody. The antibody is an IgE protein, which stands for immunoglobulin E. Elevated blood levels of this protein may suggest an allergy. Radioimmunosorbent (RAST) blood tests measure the concentration of certain IgE antibodies and may be ordered by your doctor.