eCommerce apps are similar to eCommerce websites which allow buying & selling between consumers and businesses. They are also referred to as mCommerce solutions. Both retail stores and entrepreneurs can benefit from building this type of app which can either be an app for a single vendor or multiple vendors.
Here are a few statistics that suggest the same:
- 85% of adults own smartphones as of 2022 in the USA.
- The average time spent on mobile devices in the USA is 5 hours and 24 minutes per day.
- The population as of 2022 was 7.9 billion and there were 6.65 Billion mobile phone users.
This article provides more information on ecommerce app development.
Types of eCommerce Solutions
Businesses can benefit from developing an eCommerce app in many ways. There are two main mobile platforms: iOS and Android. One can either develop a cross-platform app for both operating systems or opt for a native app. Here are some of the popular business models:
- Business-to-business (B2B) like Alibaba
- Business-to-Consumer (B2C) like Dominos & Amazon
- Consumer-to-Consumer (C2C) like OLX & eBay
- Consumer-to-Business (C2B) like Clutch & GitHub
Impact of eCommerce on the Global Market
- Sales using mobile phone apps in 2018 was 1.36 Trillion USD and that in 2016 was 0.97 Trillion USD.
- 10% of global eCommerce was in the USA.
- The top eCommerce apps globally are Amazon, eBay, Wish, Meesho, AliExpress, and Flipkart.
- Revenue from eCommerce apps globally in 2016 was 0.94 Trillion USD while that in 2017 was 1.36 Trillion USD.
- Revenue from eCommerce apps in 2020 was 2.91 Trillion USD while that in 2021 was 3.56 Trillion USD globally.
Smartphone users are on the rise and consumer spending via mobile phone apps is also increasing. There is a distinct shift in consumer behavior toward spending online. Businesses that do not have an online presence will miss out on the consumers who prefer to shop online and that is a very large number. The recent COVID-19 pandemic has had a big impact on this industry with more users now depending on eCommerce sites for a wider range of products.
Who is an eCommerce App For?
- There is a big shift in consumer behavior with more users now preferring to use mobile apps and buy more types of products online.
- If you are a business selling products that consumers prefer buying online, it is advisable to set up your eCommerce website as well.
- An mCommerce application with an appealing interface, fancy features, and an easy-to-navigate interface will attract a large number of consumers and help one gain a competitive advantage.
- It is the ideal marking tool with no dearth of strategies one can implement to increase brand awareness.
- This is the ideal way to provide consumers with a more personalized experience. This also includes more offers and discounts.
eCommerce App Features
- Secure authentication: Users can log in to their secure accounts and access their profiles. A strong algorithm is used to secure these accounts. Users can access their profile and change their account preferences here.
- Browse and search: The user can browse the product listing and categories. They can search for the product of their choice using the robust search function along with filters.
- Flexible Payment Gateway: Users can pay for their purchases in the method of their choice since eCommerce apps tend to provide more flexibility with payment gateways.
- Rating & Reviews: Consumers can rate the products and write reviews about them. They can also refer to the reviews of previous buyers before buying the product.
- Order Tracking: Once the order is placed it will go through several stages like packaging, shipping, transit, etc. The consumer can track the exact status of the shipment using the app. They can also check their order history.
- Quick checkout: The checkout process is one of the most tedious and time-consuming ones for consumers. The app can offer a quick checkout option to the user who wishes to skip other options and simply checkout.
- Big Data: Businesses can take advantage of Big data algorithms to analyze the vast amount of data generated and do it fast. This allows them to analyze consumer behavior and personalize their shopping experience. It is also useful in allowing them to optimize the type of products stocked in the store.
- AR/VR: Consumers like new and innovative experiences. AR/VR is the ideal technology to achieve this.
- AI Chatbots: An AI Chatbot provides top-notch customer service to the customers and ensures the consumers get answers to their questions all around the clock. It also means they get instant answers.
- Social Media Integration: Users can log in with their social media account and they can also share details of their purchases on social media.
- Product listing: The products are listed in high detail, this includes a detailed description along with images and videos.
- Notifications: Users get notifications from the eCommerce store as per their preferences. This can be for the availability of a product, store offers, and updates on the status of the products they have ordered.
- Voice assistance: Voice assistance helps increase the customer experience since more users rely on this feature. The voice assistance feature can detect user requirements and provide fast responses in the form of search results.
- Wearable: The eCommerce mobile app is linked with the Wearable devices to provide various value-added features.
eCommerce App Development Cost
The cost to develop an eCommerce app will depend on several factors like the type of features added, the type of app, the mobile platform, and complexity. The cost and time to develop such an app will increase for adding more features. Adding features that use advanced technologies like AI. AR/VR will also directly affect the cost.
The development costs are lower in some countries hence the location of the firm also affects the cost. Acquaint Softtech is a mobile app development company that delivers cost-effective and high-quality eCommerce mobile apps that also include advanced technologies.
Tech Stack & eCommerce App Development Team
The technologies for the mCommerce solution depend on the type of application like native or cross-platform apps. Laravel is best suited to develop the backend of the eCommerce mobile app since it is a highly secure PHP framework with several built-in modules and libraries. The tech stack for this app is: Laravel, Node.JS, Vue.JS, React Native, Flutter, MySQL, Firebase, AWS, Google Cloud, etc.
The main components to building such an app include a mobile developer, a backend developer, supporting technologies, and a database. The ideal team to develop such an app would look like this:
- Project Manager
- Backend developer
- Mobile Developer
- QA team tester
Tips To Develop an eCommerce App?
- Research well before making important decisions regarding the features to include in the app. It is a good practice to take a look at the competitor’s apps as well, especially the successful ones.
- Establish your business objectives first and gain a clear picture of your requirements before approaching the professional development firm.
- Select the eCommerce solution platform like a website, iOS app, Android App, etc. A mobile app is an ideal choice since a high percentage of people now use mobile apps for everything. However, developing a website as well will only boost your business.
- Hire an ecommerce app development firm to create your mobile with your custom requirements.
- Decide the set of features suitable for your app and get involved while the experts design the interface.
- Businesses have the option of developing an MVP which is more affordable, faster to launch, and allows one to optimize it based on the feedback from the users.
- Ensure your app is well tested by a dedicated QA team before launch.
Acquaint Softtech is a well-established mobile app development for ecommerce solution. We specialize in eCommerce solutions and have extensive experience doing so.
We offer Laravel development services for backend development. Some of our popular eCommerce solutions include Shopify, WooCommerce, and Bagisto. Hiring the experts like at Acquaint is highly beneficial and also a more affordable solution compared to setting up an in-house team or hiring freelancers.
An eCommerce mobile app can help improve your presence and is the ideal solution for evolving consumer behavior which is to shop while on the go or from the convenience of their living room. It also simplifies the marketing process and improves brand recognition. It is the ideal way to increase the visibility of your retail business, however, developing one is not an easy task especially because there are already many businesses with many stunning apps. Hire a developer to build a state-of-the-art app for your business and gain the upper edge.
- How to develop an eCommerce mobile app?
Some of the key steps to developing an eCommerce mobile app include research, setting goals, choosing the platforms and features, and finding a good development firm to build it.
- How long does it take to develop an eCommerce app?
It can take anywhere between 6 months to 1 year to develop a mobile app however, one can choose to build an MVP with minimal features. This type of app takes 3 to 4 months to develop. The more features the longer it takes to develop.