Do you know the meaning of charts and graphs? Let’s know about bar graphs and pie charts. A pie chart is a graphical representation of data in the shape of a circular chart or pie, with the slices indicating the size of the data. To represent data in the form of a pie chart, a list of numerical variables as well as categorical variables is required. In a pie chart, the arc length of each slice, and thus the area and central angle it forms, is proportional to the quantity it represents.
Do you know what a bar graph is? Let’s know, a bar graph is defined as a visual tool that uses bars to compare data among various categories. (Also known as a bar chart or bar diagram) A bar graph may run vertically or it may run horizontally. The important thing to remember is that the longer the bar, the more valuable it is. A bar graph has two axes. The horizontal axis (or x-axis) of a vertical bar graph, as shown above, displays the data categories. They are years in this case. The scale is represented by the vertical axis (or y-axis). The data series is represented by the coloured bars.
Bar graphs are distinguished by three features:
- A bar diagram makes it simple to compare data sets from different groups at a glance.
- On one axis, the graph represents categories, and on the other, a discrete value. The objective is to demonstrate the relationship between the two axes.
- Bar charts can also demonstrate significant changes in data over time.
Advantages of Bar Graph
- The illustration is straightforward and simple.
- Data can be visually represented as a fraction of a whole.
- It contributes to the provision of an effective communication tool for even the most uninformed audience.
- At a glance, provides a data comparison for the audience to provide an immediate analysis or to quickly understand information.
- There is no need for readers to examine or measure underlying numbers, which can be avoided by using this chart.
- You can manipulate data points in the pie chart to emphasise a few points you want to make.
Disadvantages of Bar Graph
- A bar graph becomes less effective when there are too many data points to use.
- If there are too many data points. Even if you include data labels and numbers, they may become crowded and difficult to read.
- Because this chart only represents one data set, a series is required to compare multiple sets.
- This may make it more difficult for readers to quickly analyse and assimilate information.
Pie Chart Applications
- Company Sales
A pie chart clearly displays a company’s annual sales. At a glance, the pie chart provides a clear picture of how sales were made in a company.
For example, a pie chart can help a boutique visualise the number of sales made for each product (shoes, bags, t-shirts, etc.).
Using the pie chart to view this information at a glance will assist in identifying courses that do not have enough time and how the time allocation procedure can be improved.
- Budgeting and Financial Management
Pie charts can help people better plan their finances and keep track of where and what they spend their money on. This will aid in making better financial decisions and planning in order to maximise income while minimising costs.
Without a doubt, pie charts are an excellent method of data visualisation. However, it is not always the best option, especially when dealing with a large dataset.
There are more charts like the donut chart, which helps to make a better comparison in a dataset, which is one of the most common alternatives used in place of a pie chart. This chart has the same structure as a pie chart, with the exception of a circular hole in the donut chart. To learn more about pie charts and bar graphs you can visit the Cuemath website.
The human brain is wired to respond to rewards. This is how we can learn at a young age. We are rewarded for our good behaviour and punished for our bad behaviour, which makes it easier for us to learn what we should do, and what we should not do.
The future of education is going to be all about rewarding students when they succeed, instead of punishing them when they fail.
department of health
cnn breaking news headlines
bbc sports news